Sunday, December 28, 2008

Prom Date


Gwenyth Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love



At highschool my Year 12 Ball was 'the event' of the year on the social calendar. Me and my girlfriends spent hours planning hair-styles, dresses, nailpolish colours and of course our dates. I asked a boy who I had known since I was 6 years old, we went to primary school together though we were never really friends or really knew each other well. We worked at our local supermarket where I was a checkout chick and he stocked the shelves. Looking back I think I asked him because he was tall. I am tall so I guess I thought this would look good in the photos!

Anyways, after having a disastrous time getting ready -this included leaving my hairdresser looking like Shirley Temple when I had specifically asked for Gwyneth Paltrows 'Shakespeare in Love' hair (yep it was the 90's) With me in tears my mum took me to another hairdresser who smoothed my ringlets into a chic blow-wave (thank goodness!) my date arrived kissed me on the cheek, grunted hello and asked if I had any beer for the limo. What is wrong with this story you may ask? Well, I was the only girl whose date did not present her a corsage. I was completely miffed (though I didn't let on).

So since then I have have had a obsession with corsages. I think they are the most beautiful things as I love the idea of wearing a miniature bouquet of flowers around the wrist. They are almost like pieces of art! I went to wedding earlier this year where the bridesmaids held parasols and wore delightful purple corsages instead of the traditional bouquet and I squealed with glee!

Laurie Cinotto is one of my favourite florists/artists. I think her work is amazing as she couples quirky objects like miniature birds and porcelain rabbits with an unusual mix of floral, feathers and buttons. Aren't they so pretty?

P.S: A week after the ball I was at a party and my ball date appeared and handed my a corsage made out of frangipanis and mumbled that he felt bad he had forgotten to give me a corsage-awww bless! I happily wore my new corsage with my jeans for the rest of the night!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww I wish my high school had a year 12 prom/formal/some form of social event. I love hearing everyone else's highschool stories though!

Skye said...

I love corsages too - my bridesmaid wore a purple orchid wrist corsage for my wedding too. I almost wore one myself but the temptation of the bouquet was too strong to resist. Cute story about the follow-up corsage!

Eleanor said...

I know exactly what you mean! I had my year 10 formal last year (08) and almost all of my friends but me were presented with corsages. I love all flowers, whether they are planted in the ground, presented in a bunch or adorning a wrist.
xxeleanor
www.fashionflocks.blogspot.com

Rae1124 said...

I had the same Shirley Temple nightmare for my prom! It was awful! I cried my make up off, called my date and told him I wasn't going. My mother had to call him back and tell him it would be ok. My daughter is gearing up for her prom now. Shopping for prom dresses with her brings me back.